Thursday 22 September 2011

The Agony of Food Poisoning

Many of us had first hand experience about food poisoning. You are lucky if you are an exception. Last Sunday, I was down with food poisoning . I ate exactly the same food as my family members but I was the only one with it. Luckily my children and hubby were spared. I suspected that it had something to do with the ready made meatball bought from the supermarket. That's one of the reasons that freshly home prepared food is always the best.

The first day was especially terrible. I became an ardent visitor to the loo, making a visit every now too often with urgency. My stomach was throwing a turmoil, like something was somersaulting and turning inside. I threw up a few times until nothing was left, leaving a bitter after taste in the mouth. My head was spinning and other than the loo, my couch was my comfort. The medicine which I took kept being purged out- flagyl for stomach infection, spasmolin for stomach cramp, ultracarbon for absorbing toxins and immodium to stop diarrhea. I forced myself to drink lots of water to prevent dehydration and on white rice porridge diet to speed up recovery. My symptoms improved as hours passed by slowly. That night, I was tossing and turning in bed. I could hardly sleep, my whole body was aching. I finally fell asleep in the wee hours in the morning, after throwing up again for the last time at about 1.30 a.m.

I was much better the next day after waking up. 'Bye-bye' to diarrhea and throwing ups. My head was still slightly dizzy and I still need to rest. Other than that, I was fine. My 12-year old son was really nice to help me do house chores since he didn't need to go to school that day. He kept on asking about how I was feeling, getting water for me.....  really being comforting .....

Prescription : There is up and down along our road. Like it or not, we have to face reality.

No comments: