Monday 21 March 2011

Choked On Milk...What I did to save my baby...


  Read the newspaper (The Star page N45) this morning. Yet another baby died after choking on milk last Wednesday. She was only 2 months old. I am real sorry and sad for her parents ; for their lost. This reminded me of my own daughter, Joanne. During the first month, she had no problem drinking or after drinking milk. But later she always choked on milk and turned blue. Pats on her back wouldn't help.
  I can still remember clearly the first time she choked, it was after drinking milk and after burping her. My mum was carrying her. My little baby's face turned reddish especially the tip of her nose indicating that she wanted to poop and made an 'ehm' sound to poo. At that very moment, her milk sort of regurgitated back up her wind pipe which made her choked on the milk. Her face turned all blue. She was not breathing or crying and sort of stiff. My mum was terrified. I felt so helpless. I was really scared. Mum was an ex-nurse and tried all ways frantically to make her breathe. Seconds passed and I know that I would not be able to send her to the doctor on time. Instinct made me sucked her nose. There was no time to think about being unhygienic. Milk from her nose together with her nasal excretion got sucked into my mouth. She started crying and her face turned back to pinkish. I was so relieved and couldn't stop crying after that. I nearly lost her that morning.Her poop...very messy but I cleaned her happily, gratefully, thankfully.
  Since that morning, I would constantly checked on her even when she was sleeping (she frequently choked on milk even when she was sleeping). I made her sleep at 45 degree level. I made sure her head was always higher. For years I kept my ears opened at night and on my alarm clock at intervals to check on her.It was tiring but time passed.... she is 14 now. How I manage? I resigned from a very promising job but I never regretted.

Prescription :  Hope this experience of mine could help some mothers or caretakers. It might not work for you but it is worth trying while getting to the doctor. I tried it many times. My daughter is the proof.


(21.03.11-Monday)
  

No comments: