Friday 18 March 2011

Pisang Salai For Me

   My friend from Johore visited me yesterday. She gave me a packet of 'pisang salai'(smoked bananas) from Ayer Hitam which literally means 'Black Water'. Maybe the town got its name from the blackish coloured river and streams that you can see there. Ayer Hitam may be a small town but it is always bustling with activities. It is known as a 'rest town' and as 'the town that never sleeps'. It is famous for its dozens of outlets  selling home produce such as snacks, pottery and other crafts.
   One of the snacks that I like very much from this town is 'pisang salai'. I can't find this elsewhere. Maybe I didn't look enough. Many people don't like the smoky unique taste.Take my children, they told me that 'pisang salai' tasted weird and looked like poop from afar. The least I can do is to agree with them about the outlook; not very appetizing looking but never judge a book by its cover. One man's meat is another man's poison.

Prescription :  Respect other people's preference, respect the difference.




(18.03.11-Friday)

No comments: